Suspect in double-murder at Sugar Shack package store enters not-guilty plea

Posted August 27, 2014 at 2:27 pm


A Monticello, Kentucky man charged with double-homicide in the deaths of a father and son in Pickett County, Tennessee made his first appearance in court on the charges recently and through legal counsel, entered a plea of not guilty.

According to an August 13 article in the Wayne County Outlook, Wayne County resident Joshua Clay Pyles, 34, made his first court appearance and according to the Pickett County Circuit Clerk’s Office, the defendant entered a not guilty plea in General Sessions Court on Tuesday, August 5.

Pyles was arrested by the Tennessee Bureau of Investigation on August 1 and charged with two counts of first degree murder.

The charges stem from the deaths of 58-year-old Danny Dowdy and his son, 22-year-old Cody Dowdy.

The two men were found dead at their family business, the Sugar Shack, on Thursday, July 31. The business is located on the Kentucky-Tennessee border at Static.

No details were released by officials involved in the investigation, but The Clinton County News was informed by family members that the victims had been shot.

No precise motive for the murders have been released.

According to the Pickett County Sheriff’s Office, Pyles was in the Tennessee jail without bond.

According to reports, Attorney Laura Sebers was appointed to represent Pyles at his court appearance.

No date had been set for a preliminary hearing in the case.

Officials say this is the first murder charges to be filed in Pickett County in over a decade.

This make-shift memorial was first begun days after the double murder at the nearby Sugar Shack package store in Static, Tennessee that took the lives of owner Danny Dowdy, 58, and his son, Cody Dowdy, 22. The two were killed July 31 at the business that is located just across the Clinton County boundary in Pickett County.

Josh Pyles.psd

Joshua Pyles

A suspect, Joshua Clay Pyles, 34, of Wayne County, was arrested the following day. He has pled not guilty in Pickett County General Sessions Court.